preparing bedding soil - Knowledgebase Question

brandon, Fl
Question by ebrowning1
I am getting ready, to plant annuals, and I have added compost to the soil,I was wondering if I could use styrofoam beads to help with drainage in my beds?

No, don't add styrofoam to the bed. The pieces will actually float when you water the bed and work their way up to the top - you'll be forever removing them from your landscape! Compost does an excellent job of loosening and aerating soils. I spread 4-5 inches over the top of the bed and dig it in to a depth of 8-10 inches. If you didn't add that much, or dig it down that deeply, you still have time to do so prior to planting your annuals. After planting, spread another couple of inches of compost over the bare soil between the plants. . At the end of the season dig the organic matter into the soil and add a fresh layer. Repeat this process annually and you'll end up with rich garden loam - and a spectacular garden.

Today's site banner is by wildflowers and is called "Japanese Spirea"