Soil type for perennials - Knowledgebase Question

Lennox, Ca
Question by diarevalo00
What type of soil or compost do I need to use in order to plant perennials in my garden? What's the difference between garden soil, potting soil, and compost? I live zone 10. Thanks.

0

You can amend your garden soil with any organic matter - compost, peat moss, decomposed leaves, rice hulls, or anything organic to help loosen the soil. Packaged topsoil or garden soil is simply soil with sand and compost mixed in; potting soil is specifically for containerized plants. It is mostly compost and shredded bark with some perlite mixed in to keep it light; compost is partially decomposed plant material. It makes an excellent soil amendment. In my garden, I spread 3-4 inches of compost over the top of the soil and dig it in to a depth of 8-10 inches. Hope this answers your question.

Today's site banner is by plantmanager and is called "Spinystar (Escobaria vivipara)"