Colored Callas - Knowledgebase Question

Stockton, Ca
Question by ranelletti
I have colored callas growing in the ground and in pots for the past 4 years. Each year the plants come up - about now - and grow green healthy leaves. When it is time to bloom, the flowers do no fully open and they bend down toward the ground. i am in zone 9 USDA and zone 14 Sunset. Why don't my callas bloom? Buy the way, the large white ones bloom fine.
Thanks.Barbara Ranelletti

0

The most common reasons for flower buds not to open correctly is a root rot problem, underwatering, or cold temperatures. Root rot usually shows up as yellowing leaves or dark tips on the flowers. Underwatering could also cause the blooms to shrivel -- some types of callas require very wet soil during the growing season while others will tolerate soil with damp to average moisture. Cold overnight temperatures can also cause the flowers to fail. Since the other callas seem to be fine, I would suspect one of the first two problems.

Today's site banner is by ge1836 and is called "Alteri Lily"