Ixora shrubs (dwarf variety) - Knowledgebase Question

Barefoot Bay, Fl
Question by nanjack
I bought and planted 3 small Ixora shrubs in November, prior to the cold winter. They looked pretty dead after the cold winter we had here in FL. I pruned them back a few weeks ago and have started watering them, but they are showing now signs of life. My other species of shrubs all have new leaves coming in and are showing life. At what point do I give up on the Ixorias and just replant?

0

I don't think there is much hope for your Ixora's. The leaves will naturally be damaged by frost but the roots of an established Ixora usually have enough reserves to regrow after a hard freeze. Your plants may not have had time to establish a good root system before the cold weather arrived and I suspect the roots were killed. I'd replace them with healthy new plants. Best wishes with your landscape!

Today's site banner is by EscondidoCal and is called "Tithonia diversifolia"