What to do with a snow squashed Euonymus? - Knowledgebase Question

Reston, Vi
Question by cat2steve
Wish I could attach a photo - I have a large Euonymus shrub (over 6' tall) that got squashed by the 3+ feet of snow we had. It has a number of spots where branches have bent over, leaving large gaps in it. Many of the branches are bent over. One large branch actually is cracked, and is bending over to the ground. Is this shrub salvageable? I'm not sure how to prune it. I'm outside of D.C.

0

I've experienced the same thing! Sometimes the shrubs will straighten out on their own, but it can take a couple of years. Other times the branches need to be staked upright to retrain them. Anything broken or cracked should be removed with a clean cut. I'd start by shoring up the cracked branch. If the crack is only on one side it may heal over the wound by the end of the growing season. If it does not heal or if the leaves on the branch begin to die you can prune the branch out. Your euonymus will regrow new branches just below the pruning cut. Then I'd drive stakes in the ground in the area of the drooping branches and tie them to the stakes so they are growing upright. Once you've finished shoring everything up, prune your shrub back to encourage new growth. You can easily prune it back by 12-18" without harm. Doing so will prompt new growth which will help it fill in. You may need to keep the stems tied to the stakes until next spring. Best wishes with your euonymus!

Today's site banner is by plantmanager and is called "Spinystar (Escobaria vivipara)"