Leyland Cypress Dry Branches - Knowledgebase Question

Cumming, Ge
Question by tluck4
I recently purchased 5 Leyland Cypress. They have been in the container for about a week. I water them every other day. When I went to plant them I noticed that the branches are brittle...they are still green but they fall apart as you run your hand down the branches. What could be the problem? I planted them all and gave them a good soaking...any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Tracie

0

When the foliage drops easily it usually indicates a water stress but I don't know if it's too much or too little water. Plants in containers can dry out quickly when the weather is warm and sometimes air pockets form around the roots - even though you think you are watering enough, and the water drains out the bottom of the pot, the roots may not be getting adequate moisture. Now that they are in the ground and you've watered them, they should be getting enough water. I'd water them twice a week for the next couple of weeks to help the roots become established. You should see an improvement and even some new growth within the next few weeks. If they start turning brown, they still have a root problem and should be replaced. I hope they recover!

Today's site banner is by ge1836 and is called "Alteri Lily"