Pruning Nellies Stevens - Knowledgebase Question

Tega Cay, So
Question by Savbar01
We planted Nellie Stevens hollies last year and they are about 6 ft tall. They have been growing really well and I would like to prune them to encourage thicker growth as we live along a golf course. I am unsure of the timing for pruning though- it is now April, their flowers are just finishing, and there seems to be a lot of new growth at the tips. Thanks!

0

The usual pruning time for hollies is in the winter when they are more or less dormant. However, you can lightly prune yours now. If you prune now you will lose some of the berries because your plants have already flowered and those flowers will turn into berries this summer. If this is not important to you, go ahead and give them an all over trim. If you want to preserve the berries, wait until next winter to prune.

Today's site banner is by krobra and is called "Lantana Dew Drops"