I purchase daffodil flowers in a small pot can I plant them now? - Knowledgebase Question

Detroit, Mi
Question by boldensherr
I purchase 12 daffodil and tulips flowers that are 6 inches tall with flowers already sprouting up. I live in Detroit, MI can I plant them now for them to bloom this spring and early summer 2010? How deep and far apart from one another should I plant them in the ground? Do I need to fertilize the soil and should I blend in the cow manure with the dirt already there before planting in the ground?

0

If you're careful you can unpot the arrangement and set it in the ground so it can flower outdoors, but don't try to separate the flowers - all of the roots will have grown together and if you damage the roots, they may not finish flowering. If you plant the entire rootmass in a hole in your garden you can wait until the foliage dies down on its own and the bulbs are dormant, then dig and divide them and replant elsewhere in your garden. Or, the easiest route to take is to set the container outdoors now, enjoy the flowers and when the foliage dies down you can dig and separate the bulbs and replant them in your garden for spring flowers next year. Whichever route you take, enjoy!

Today's site banner is by sunnyvalley and is called "Autumn Colour"