Brown Tip on leaves - Knowledgebase Question

Fairburn, Ge
Question by jstinsonjh
I have a peace lily. I water when the leaves begin to droop. However, I see brown tips on the leaves and I cut them off. What does the brown synbolizes? Am I watering too much or not enough?

Dry indoor air can cause the browning tips but so can salts in the water. Browning usually occurs on the old leaves first as the excess salt accumulates in the leaf edges, where it kills the tissue. It's important to water deeply and slowly. At least once a month, water deeply enough to "leach" or push salts well below the root zone. Frequent, light "sprinklings" allow salts to accumulate in the top layers of soil, where the roots are, which is bad news. Similar symptoms occur when too much fertilizer has been applied. You can immerse the container in a larger container of water to saturate the soil and help leach out any excess salts. Best wishes with your peace lily.

Today's site banner is by wildflowers and is called "Japanese Spirea"