Is it too soon??? - Knowledgebase Question

st anthony, Mi
Question by jenniferwint7
I know that the spring season has been a very unusual one Smiling I am looking to start my vegetable garden indoors and then transplant it to my outdoor garden. I am afraid that I am doing it too early. Is there any advice you can give about when is the best time to start it? I know the last hard frost is usually the beginning of may, and my vegetables are going to be indoors for at least 2-3 weeks.

0

You're right about the last frost date and my best advice is to plant your veggies outdoors about two weeks after your last frost (about mid-May). Most veggies can be sown indoors 4-6 weeks prior to your last frost date and they will be fully developed and ready to grow once you place them outdoors. If you want to start your seeds indoors now, you certainly can. They'll take about a week to sprout and then another 2-3 weeks before they develop their first set of true leaves. After they have developed 2-3 sets of true leaves they should be hardy enough to go out into the garden. Don't be in a rush to set them outside - they'll grow quickly indoors and once the weather warms outside you should have some decent sized plants to set in your garden. enjoy!

Today's site banner is by ge1836 and is called "Alteri Lily"