Crepe Myrtles - Knowledgebase Question

Olathe, Ka
Question by thedoodahkid
I bought and planted crepe myrtles last fall and they are totally dead now (Spring) what could have gone wrong. Nothing else I bought and planted died, to include:chrysanthemums and jasmine. I live in KC, KS - would the cold have more to do with it, considering the rest of the plants grew, I am at a loss.

How sad to lose your plants! Crepe myrtles are perfectly suited to your climate and general go through the winter without problems. Check to make sure the soil didn't get - and stay - soggy wet. Root rot will kill plants faster than anything. Another consideration is that if you planted them in fall, they may not have had an opportunity to establish themselves before winter arrived. I'd pull them out, amend the soil with some organic matter to make sure it drains well and replant some crepe myrtles. They will have all summer to grow and establish and should cruise right through the winter. Best wishes with your garden!

Today's site banner is by dirtdorphins and is called "prickly pads"