Palm Trees After a Freeze - Knowledgebase Question

Orlando, Fl
Question by provand
Some of the palms in our community were impacted by the recent freeze. We felt the fronds completely brown should come off (none that had even a hint of green were pruned)and then sunshine and warm temperatures would be the best medicine. Is this correct and is there anything else we can do?

0

You're right on target! The dead fronds will serve no purpose to the trees and might even be torn off by a high wind so removing them was the right thing to do. There's really not much else you can or should do for your palms. With any luck the growth bud at the very crown of the trees came through the freezing weather unscathed. Your palms may take some time to recover but I think you'll eventually see new fronds developing on them. Just be patient - I'll cross my fingers for you.

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Crocosmia 'Lucifer'"