Squirrels - Knowledgebase Question

Stuart, Fl
Question by cindic001
How do I keep the squirrels away from my veggie garden?

Its hard--the bottom line is that the creatures are hungry and you planted a salad bar in their territory! To keep rabbits out I recommend installing a 2-foot high fence made of 1 1/2 inch mesh. The bottom should be tight to the ground or buried 12 inches. For squirrels, try to cover the soil around planting beds with sheets of 1-2 inch diameter wire mesh. Squirrels don't like to walk on it. You can also try pruning trees so the lowest branches are at least 6 feet above ground and placing 2 foot wide metal bands around the tree trunks, positioning them so the bottom of each band is at least 2 feet off the ground. This prevents them from climbing trees and discourages them from taking up residence in your yard. Various repellents and "scare tactics" are generally not effective for the long-term. They need to be reapplied and "scare" devices moved frequently or creatures get used to them. The best method is exclusion, i.e., fencing them out, or surrounding individual plants with wire.

Today's site banner is by wildflowers and is called "Japanese Spirea"