large weed filled lawn - Knowledgebase Question

san francisco, Ca
Question by dianatom2003
would like to change lumpy weed infested filled lawn into veggie patch. what do i need to do to get rid of all those weeds? I've pulled, turn soil over and they all come back. it's overwhelming. help!

0

I'd use a vegetation killer such as Round Up on the existing lawn and weeds. Round Up is translocated into the roots of the weeds but won't travel in the soil. When the weeds are dead, rake them out and rototill (rake again, if necessary). Since there will be weed seeds lurking in the soil you may want to cover over the vegetable plot with a weed barrier fabric. This will block the sunlight and keep weed seeds from growing. You can cut slits if you want to seed or garden or cut X's if you want to plant transplants. Best wishes with your new garden!

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Crocosmia 'Lucifer'"