Rodents are eatting my tulip bulbs - Knowledgebase Question

Olathe, Ka
Question by nichern
I had planted 100+ tulip bulbs.
We don't have trees, I don't think it's squirrels. The holes look like a quick small shovel hole. The bulbs were eaten recently because some of the bulbs began to spout, but the rodent picked at them. Most of the bulbs were not completely eaten, but began to rot.

What can I do? What kind of rodent is this? What kind of things can i buy to get rid of it?

Sounds like a raccoon is digging, but I can't be sure so I don't know what to recommend to deter it. It can be difficult to protect bulbs from hungry critters. You can try to protect them by planting them deeply and watering them in well, then covering the area with wire mesh such as hardware cloth or an old window screeen. Some people claim success by dipping them in a rodent repellent just prior to planting. Other gardeners devise wire mesh baskets and plant the bulbs in those. Still others have had success using an animal repellent sprayed on the surface of the ground and repeated according to the label instructions. I wish I had other suggestions to share.

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Dan Bachman 2006 seedlings"