Azalea attacked by recovery?? - Knowledgebase Question

Knoxville, Te
Question by jason73
I have a link at the end. 3 side by side azaleas were attaked by fungus over winter. 1st pic shows what they looked like when I planted them last year, others show this years damage. My question is, while looking at some of the closer ups, will these azaleas recover their thickness inside? They seemed to be really hit hard there.

The first thing that caught my eye was the new growth - light green leaves with darker green veins. This indicates a need for iron. Use Ironite in amounts as recommended on the label (which varies according to size of plant). This will help the leaves green up. The legginess is normal with azaleas that are not routinely pruned. Wait until after flowering has finished and prune each of them back by a few inches. Pruning will force growth behind the pruning cuts and make the shrubs look fuller. New growth will also appear in front of the pruning cuts. Azaleas spend the summer months developing flower buds for next spring's floral display so pruning in late spring won't affect next year's flowering. Azaleas prefer acidic soils. If yours is alkaline (which I suspect it is) feed with an acidiifed fertilizer such as one formulated for Azaleas and Rhododendrons, or with Miracid. Best wishes with your azaleas.

Today's site banner is by joannakat and is called "Sweet Alyssum 2"