touquat - Knowledgebase Question

bradenton, Fl
Question by rowboat716
Someone gave me seeds from a touquat. I can't find any information on this fruit can you help me? how to start. where to look for information. thanks

0

Touquat or Loquat? I'm familiar with loquats, but not touquats! The loquat is a large evergreen shrub or small tree with a rounded crown, short trunk and woolly new twigs. The tree can grow 20 to 30 ft. high, but is usually much smaller than this--about 10 ft. Loquats are easy to grow and are often used as an ornamental. Loquats are wind tolerant and grow best in full sun, but also do well in partial shade. The round headed trees can be used to shade a patio. Loquats also make attractive espaliers. Loquats grow well on a variety of soils of moderate fertility, from light sandy loam to heavy clay and even limestone soils, but need good drainage. Loquat fruits should be allowed to ripen fully before harvesting. They reach maturity in about 90 days from full flower opening. When ripe the fruit develops a distinctive color, depending on the cultivar, and begins to soften. Unripe fruits do not ripen properly off the tree and are excessively acid. Harvest time in Florida is from March to June.

Today's site banner is by krobra and is called "Lantana Dew Drops"