Removing & replacing shrubs - Knowledgebase Question

Las Vegas, Ne
Question by bigdaddy514
What's the best way to remove old, dead shrubs, and replace them with new healthy shrubs in my desert landscaping?

Although it may not be easy, it's important to dig and remove the roots of the old shrubs. If they are not totally dead the roots might send out suckers and you'll have to deal with sprouts in odd places. I'd prune the shrubs down to about a foot from the ground (leave the stubs to use as handles) and then dig out the roots. It's okay to leave a few of the smaller roots but remove all of the larger roots so they don't sprout. Once you've gotten everything out, dump some compost or other organic matter over the soil and dig it in to a depth of about 10". Level the area and then dig holes the size of the containers of your new shrubs. Set the shrubs in the ground so they will be growing at the same soil level as they were in the containers. Water them well after planting. Best wishes with your project!

Today's site banner is by wildflowers and is called "Japanese Spirea"