lawn care - Knowledgebase Question

cleveland, Oh
Question by kellykel1010
My back grass is so hard to care for,grass grows in some places while non in other places or its thins, but the biggest problem is I now see a purple looking flower, sort vined in the grass thats taking over, what can I do that wont kill the grass but make it grow, I dont know where to start first, should I fertalize it but what will happen to the flowers?I want beautiful grass!!!!!

Sounds like your lawn could use aerating to help loosen the soil and then a broadleaf weed killer to take care of the weeds. It may take most of the spring to rehabilitate your lawn but I think it can be done. A core aerator will remove one inch by three inch plugs from the lawn. Leave the plugs on the lawn and they will dissolve in rain or water from the sprinklers. After aerating spread a thin layer of sand or compost over the area and water it in well. The sand or compost plus the soil from the plugs will work their way down into the holes left by the plugs. You can then overseed your entire lawn. Wait until you've mowed the new grass 2-3 times before applying a fertilizer and/or weed control product. This will allow the new grass to establish a healthy root system. You can then feed or use a weed and feed product. Best wishes with your lawn.

Today's site banner is by TBGDN and is called "Irises 2017"