Planting Rhododendrons - Knowledgebase Question

Belleville, MI
Question by ConnieLG
I have an evergreen Rhododendron and don't know where to plant it outside. I'm in a Mobile Home Park, with the length going North to South. There's some shade close to house and the only full sun is in the very front next to the street. I'm not sure what the plant requires and I don't want it to die. Can you help?

0

This is a difficult problem because some rhododendrons thrive in the shade and others love the sunshine. To be on the safe side, try giving your rhodie morning sun and afternoon shade. If it refuses to bloom, or if the leaf color fades, it might need more sunshine, but be careful because too much sun will burn the leaves and turn them brown. You can experiment by putting the potted rhodie in a place you think is right and letting stay there for a summer. If it blooms happily, you can plant it permanently. If it sulks, move it to another location. Good luck with your rhodie!