Ranunculus have lost their blooms! - Knowledgebase Question

Las Cruces, Ne
Question by ceoverhiser
My Ranunculus plants in my garden (Las Cruces, NM) have all lost their blooms and are not renewing their blossoms, even though I gave them good soil and Miracle Grow Food. Any suggestions before I pull them out and call them dead? Even the green doesn't look so healthy any more. They were only planted @ one month ago in the ground! Looking for help.

0

It sounds as though your plants are going into dormancy already. These bulbs perform best when they have 6-8 weeks of cool weather in which to sprout and grow. Ideal conditions are typically 30 ? 50 degree F nights and daytime highs in the 60 ? 75 range. In hot summer areas such as yours, ranunculus is traditionally planted in the fall. Roots and sprouts will form in the autumn. Winter will bring taller
growth and flowers will develop in the spring. When in bloom, feel free to cut ranunculus flowers for bouquets. This will not hurt your plants, in fact, the more you cut the more blooms your ranunculus will produce. So snip away. After blooming has finished for the season leave the foliage in place; don't cut it off. The leaves will gather sunlight and provide nourishment for next year's show. Water as needed during active growth periods. Ranunculus actually prefer not to be watered while dormant. When the leaves begin to yellow and die back, your plants are slipping into dormancy. Foliage many be removed at this point. Your ranunculus will rest for a few months before beginning the next growing cycle. It is important to withhold
water from the bulbs during this dormancy period. Hope this answers all your questions!

Today's site banner is by ge1836 and is called "Alteri Lily"