too many weeds in my lawn - Knowledgebase Question

Grayslake, Il
Question by juliana_carb
My lawn has too many weeds. (crabgrass, dandelions etc) I have tried to pulled them out, but there are too many. My husband put the Scotts fertilizer for spring already and seems like this stuff did not work at all. Please help. Also, my garden is pure clay. How can I improve the soil?

Scotts fertilizer will help your lawn green up but not affect the weeds. For that you need Scotts Turf Builder Plus 2. Since you've already fed your lawn this spring you can go after those weeds with a product such as Ortho? Weed B Gon MAX? Weed Killer For Lawns Ready-Spray?. You can spot spray the weeds or spray the entire lawn. Be sure to apply according to label directions.

The best thing you can do for a clay soil is to add composted organic matter, which will improve the structure and internal drainage and aeration of the soil. Do this any time you plant or replant a garden bed. Add a couple of inches of compost and work it in deeply. You might also consider building raised planting beds which will not only make the soil easier to work but will also improve drainage.

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "Lantana"