white flys - Knowledgebase Question

sutter, Ca
Question by avettte_4me
every year my garden,such as cucumbers,watermelon and my squashes, grapes,and morning glory and some of my marigolds get attached by white flys. they lterally suck the life out of my plants.what should I do? I have tried an organic spray which did not help? hopeing to catch it early this year please help before they start there mission? lol thank you! lori ann
from northern californ

White flies are second only to aphids as the most exasperating garden pest. Using insecticidal soap is your best defense - just keep applying it regularly and eventually you ll defeat the little pests. Be sure to coat plants thoroughly--including the undersides of the leaves. You might try spraying twice a week to get them under control, then once a week for maintenance.

When the season is over, be sure to remove any plant debris from your garden to eliminate any over-wintering opportunities for eggs or adult white flies.

For more in-depth information about whiteflies, visit UC Davis' Whitefly Management Guide: http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG...

Good luck with your garden.

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "Lantana"