To Fertilize or Not to Fertilize - Knowledgebase Question

stratford, Co
Question by mrshoffman0
OK, My Husband and I recently purchased a home and the lawn needs a lot of help. It has a 40 to 60 grass to weed ratio. My husband thinks we should put down grass seeds 1st to fill in those bare spots around the yard then in a few weeks put down fertilizer. I believe we should do it the other way around. What should we do?

0

I hate it when I'm appointed the referee! Actually, your husband is right. Rake the bare spots and overseed. Then wait until after you've mowed the new grass 2 or 3 times. By then the roots will be well established and able to tolerate a fertilizer or a weed and feed product such as Scotts Turf Builder plus 2. If you apply weed and feed first, there will be a waiting period before you can overseed the bare spots. Best wishes with your lawn!

Today's site banner is by plantmanager and is called "Spinystar (Escobaria vivipara)"