Box flowers? - Knowledgebase Question

Bloomington, Mi
Question by gustietodd
I have a permanent flower box at my front door that is about 8 inches wide and 36 inches deep. The front 12 inches or so get full sun all day, while the back gets mostly shade (because of an overhang). I'd like to fill it with colorful, FULL flowering plants that are easy to care for, and look decent together. Can you offer any suggestions?

For the shady part of your flower box, bedding begonias, browallia, catharanthus (vinca), coleus, fuchsias, impatiens, lobelia, mimulus (monkey flower), salvia, and torenia (wishbone flower). In the suuny front, plant Aster, Penstemon, Carnation (Dianthus), Common Sundrops (Oenothera fruticosa), Coralbells (Heuchera), Cornflower (Centaurea), Fernleaf Bleeding Heart (Dicentra eximia), Foamflower (Tiarella),
Garden Mums, Spiderwort (Tradescantia) and Tall Phlox (Phlox paniculata).

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Dan Bachman 2006 seedlings"