Help!!! - Knowledgebase Question

New york, Ne
Question by xbrown07
I want to fix up my mom's garden, however I'm new and there are ALOT of weeds. What should my 1st step be, and are there any good books for beginners?

0

You can fix up an existing garden or you can make a new garden without too much trouble. Start by removing all the weeds. You can either dig them out or you can remove any plant you want to save and use a vegetation killer on the bed. Round Up is a good one - it kills the weeds (and anything else it touches) but it doesn't move in the soil so there's no residue to be concerned about. Once the weeds are dead you can dig and rake them out. Once that's done you can spread 3-4 inches of compost over the top of the bed and dig it in to a depth of 8-10 inches. Then level the bed and replant any of the plants you dug out before, or plant the bed with brand new plants. As for gardening books, "Gardening for Dummies" is a good book to start with. Check in your local library for a copy. Enjoy your project!

Today's site banner is by krobra and is called "Lantana Dew Drops"