Lamium - Knowledgebase Question

Silverdale, Wa
Avatar for rosiem4
Question by rosiem4
April 15, 2010
Lamiastrum galeobdolon

How do you get rid of it besides hand pulling? Would Round-Up work?

Answer from NGA
April 15, 2010
When it's in your garden, it's called dead nettle. When it invades your lawn, it's called henbit. Whatever you call it, lamium is a broadleaf plant so broadleaf weed killers will take care of it. Round Up will work but since it's a vegetation killer it will kill any plant it contacts. Unless the area is bare of any desireable plants, I wouldn't use it. Henbit is most effectively controlled in the fall. If applied early in the fall before the henbit seeds germinate, you can use a pre-emergent herbicide such as Preen or Halts. Once the henbit has germinated, products containing dicamba, MCPP and 2,4-D have demonstrated effective control of the plant.

You must be signed in before you can post questions or answers. Click here to join!

« Return to the Garden Knowledgebase Homepage

Member Login:

( No account? Join now! )

Today's site banner is by dirtdorphins and is called "mouse ears"

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.