apple trees - Knowledgebase Question

Shorewood, Il
Question by vlh430
The last 3 years my 2 apple trees have black spots everywhere. I tried to go with no pesticide products but this is not working. What to do? the blossums are bloomed is it to late to save my trees? Need desperate help thanks, victoria

Sounds like apple scab which is a fungal disease. To avoid diseases, your apple trees can be sprayed with Bordeaux (lime-sulfur). Lime sulfur is acceptable to organic farmers so you might want to rethink your no-spray approach. It is safe to use. This fungicide must be applied early and thoroughly to protect new growth. Apply according to label directions; as the buds break until the leaves are fully expanded. Do this at prepink, pink, calyx, and first cover. You've already missed the first two or three spray treatments but you can still apply it to your tree after the petals fall and as the leaves begin to unfurl. With any luck, the two late sprays will be sufficient to protect your tree this year. Since the fungus overwinters in fallen leaves and fruit, be sure to thoroughly clean up and dispose of plant debris in the fall months.

Today's site banner is by Paul2032 and is called "Iris Dazzling"