soggy compost ruined? - Knowledgebase Question

smyrna, Ge
Question by annaclairemy
Hello,I started my compost about a year ago... it is super wet and has some wormy type critters in it that I did not add. Can it be saved or should I through it out and start over with better portions of wet to dry? Thanks so much!

0

You can save your compost if you just dig it out and spread it on the ground so it can dry out a little, or if you turn the compost with a garden fork. Turn it a couple of times a day to incorporate some air. A handful should hold together when you squeeze it but water should not drip out. It should feel about as moist as a wrung-out sponge when the moisture level is just right. Turning compost on a regular basis will help it heat up and decompose quickly. The worms and other insects are beneficial in your compost pile. They are helping to decompose the organic matter in your pile. Best wishes with your compost!

Today's site banner is by sunnyvalley and is called "Autumn Colour"