Canna Care - Knowledgebase Question

kalamazoo, MI
Question by dfgquilter
Hi,
I have heard that I can keep my cannas in the ground all winter in Michigan IF I put a tarp on the ground over them.
Is this true? I'm in zone 5.
Thanks so much, Dorian

0

I think you'd be taking a chance by trying to overwinter your cannas outdoors. They are hardy only to zone 7. In your zone 5 garden the soil will get too cold. The idea of covering the ground with a tarp is to exclude moisture. If the soil is too soggy, the cannas can rot. But the tarp won't keep the soil any warmer during the winter time. You can certainly try to overwinter them in the ground - you may be successful - but save a few by storing them indoors in a cool but above freezing place. This way you'll have some to plant in case the ones left outdoors don't sprout. Best wishes with your cannas.

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "Orchid Cactus "