blossoms on vegetable plants indoors - Knowledgebase Question

Twinsburg, Oh
Question by judy9sch
I planted from seed , I think too early. My zucinni, cukes, have blossoms on them. It's still too early to plant outside. Do I leave the blossoms on or take them off? Thanks

0

You can leave the flowers on. You can even "visit" the open flowers with a tiny paintbrush and brush the insides of the flowers to transfer pollen. Clean the paintbrush between each type of plant. You may be successful enough in transferring pollen that your plants will begin to develop fruits. If not, the flowers will fall off and no harm's done. Squash has separate male and female flowers. Males have straight stems directly behind the petals; female flowers have a slight swelling. Move the pollen from the male to the female. Don't be alarmed if all the flowers are male. This is normal with the first flowers - female flowers will develop later in the season. Best wishes with your squash and cukes!

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "Orchid Cactus "