How to get rid of spider eating my Beoginas? - Knowledgebase Question

Denham Springs, Lo
Question by joeswoman7
My poor Rieger Begonias are dying in the stems are turning to mush with some white fuzzy stuff all over them! Im a beginner gardener and im going to get some spray this after noon but any suggestions until then? my leaves are just like rotting away! this is one of my favorite things in my garden? Any specific bug spray i should get? the spider is little and red with little black legs its a spider

The white fuzzy stuff sounds like a fungus, not the results of spider (or spidermite feeding). It's difficult to diagnose without seeing the plant but gray mold (botrytis) oftens attacks plant stems and causes the symptoms you describe. Once you see the damage, you can't really control the problem - the disease is throughout the tissues and fluids of the plant. Insects can sense when plants are stressed and generally will gravitate towards sickly plants so their presence is of secondary concern. You don't want to hear this - but the best thing to do is dispose of your begonias and start all over with healthy new plants. I don't think yours can be saved.

Today's site banner is by Paul2032 and is called "Iris Dazzling"