Lawn Care - Knowledgebase Question

Green Cove Springs, Fl
Question by skip0545
I have an area on one side of my driveway, 24'X48'. I had St Augustine grass, it appears chinch bugs have eaten most of it, how do I change the grass to a different type? Does it need to be tilled, and treated with bait or5 something? Thank you for your help in advance.

0

If you want to plant a different type of grass, you'll need to completely remove the St. Augustine, digging out the roots of the plants. Otherwise, it will grow back again and you'll be forever fighting it! Of the warm season turfgrasses recommended by the University of Florida, St. Augustine, Bermuda and Zoysia are the most commonly grown. There are many cultivars of each, and each has it's own set of pro's and con's. I can't decide for you but I can steer you to a publication for the University that contains links to each of these turfgrass types along with results of their studies. There are photos, etc. which may help you decide which turfgrass is right for you: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/AG220
Hope you find it helpful.

Chinch bugs have become resistant to almost every pesticide used to control them. Of the many insecticides labeled for chinch bug elimination, there are two that stand out above the rest: Talstar (which contains Bifenthrin) and Acephate. Be sure to follow label directions.

Best wishes with your lawn.

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "Orchid Cactus "