My first Lemon Tree - Knowledgebase Question

Phoenix, Ar
Question by jaxburt
Hello, Can you please give me advice about my new lemon tree. I think I've already done damage by pruning it too much. What excactly am I supposed to prune?
Jacqueline, PHX, AZ

All citrus trees including lemons only need pruning once every two years or so to keep them looking good, healthy and within bounds. This can be carried out any time between December and January, but is best done before flowering begins early in the spring. In Phoenix, most people prune their citrus trees into lollipop shapes. If you want to do this, you can. Or you can selectively reduce the length of the branches by cutting them one at a time. Even if you pruned too much off your tree, if it is healthy it will recover. You may not get fruit if you pruned off all the flower buds, but you should get healthy new branches and leaves. Best wishes with your lemon tree.

Today's site banner is by dirtdorphins and is called "prickly pads"