Another black spot question - Knowledgebase Question

Easton, Pe
Question by mapache07
I moved into my house two years ago and am trying to care for the roses that have been neglected. I see what I think is black spot, not on the leaves, but on the canes. Is there anything in particular I should do in this instance? I am already familiar with the basic ways of treating black spot (fungicide, careful watering, etc.) Also, I have NOT pruned the roses at all, so need to do that too

As you've discovered, black spot disease can overwinter on the canes. Depending upon on how extensive the problem is, you may be able to simply prune the roses back to remove the infected canes and reduce the recurrance of the disease on your roses. If the roses are large you can prune out all but the healthiest 3-5 canes and prune the canes you saved down to about 24". New growth should be disease free but a preventative spray (or two) may still be needed. Best wishes with your roses.

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "Peonies"