mulching new perennial garden - Knowledgebase Question

07803, Ne
Question by fivefootmena
I just created a whole new garden bed in which I planted many types of tubulers and bulbs. The weeds are out of control and I think mulching would help control the weeds but I don't know if I can mulch when my new plants haven't begun to emerge. I don't want to smother my flowers.

0

It will be difficult to cover the bed to prevent weeds before the tubers and bulbs pop up so I'm afraid you'll need to either pull and dig the weeds out or spot treat with a weed killer. Since your desireable plants have yet to emerge, a weed killer will be safe to use. After the weeds are dead you can rake and pull them out of the bed and sprinkle a pre emergent weed control such as Preen over the top of the bed. The pre emergent will keep weed seeds from growing but won't harm your new plants. Be sure to apply according to label directions and follow all the cautions on the label.

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "Textures"