lilacs - Knowledgebase Question

ft wayne, In
Question by dawnmler
I have mature Miss Kim lilac bushes and they wont produce lilacs . I do fertilize with a bloom booster but no results. they are planted 2 ft from foundation of house.

The most common reasons for a lilac not to bloom are immaturity, too much shade, pruning at the wrong time of the year and excessive nitrogen fertilizer. Since your plants are mature, we can eliminate that. Lilacs bloom on wood grown the previous year, so any pruning must be done in the spring immediately after the shrub blooms. Make sure your Miss Kim's are getting adequate sunshine and be careful with pruning. At this point, I'd just be patient, and withhold fertilizer. Prune now and watch your plants this spring and summer. You should be able to detect flower bud formation at the tips of the new growth. Hope so!

Today's site banner is by joannakat and is called "Sweet Alyssum 2"