lilac bushes - Knowledgebase Question

Gardner, Ka
Question by dogma
I have two lilac bushes, one is 3 years old and the other is 2. Last year was the first year I had blooms but it only lasted for 1 week. The flowers were white. I'm looking for bushes that will bloom every year and stick around for more than a week. Any suggestions?

Sometimes lilacs can take years to become established enough and mature enough to flower well. Lilacs produce flower buds during the summer months for the following spring's display so be careful when pruning so you don't accidentally prune off next year's bloom. Sometimes a late spring frost will kill off flower buds and hot spring weather can shorten the life of the flowers, as can rainfall. Full sunshine is best for lilacs. A final thought - too much nitrogen fertilizer can result in lots of green growth, at the expense of flowering so don't feed your lilac. Be especially careful with fertilizer if your lilac is near a lawn area that you regularly fertilize. Since lilacs develop flower buds on this summer's growth, prune your lilac back now. With any luck it will develop new flowering shoots which will dazzle you with flowers next spring. Lilacs need a pronounced winter chill to bloom best so some years you'll have lots of flowers and others not so many. Hope your lilac blooms beautifully for you next spring!

Today's site banner is by Paul2032 and is called "Iris Dazzling"