Day Lillies - Knowledgebase Question

Chattanooga, Te
Question by kdavies1957
I love day lillies. I have been told that if you plant different colors together they will all turn orange. Is this true? I have a bank that runs across my property (probably 300 feet) I would like to add all colors and sizes of day lillies, phlox and shasta daisies. But, I do not want my day lillies to turn from the colors they are.

0

I've heard stories about daylilies reverting to the standard orange color but there's no research to back that up. What can happen, though, is that the plants can cross pollinate and if you do not deadhead the spent flowers, and if the plant produces viable seeds, the seeds will be a combination of both parents, with the dominant color showing in the flowers of the plant that grows from seed. You can avoid this by regularly removing the spent flowers throughout the growing season. Hope this clarifies things for you!

Today's site banner is by krobra and is called "Lantana Dew Drops"