lawn lime - Knowledgebase Question

Oceanside, Ne
Question by dmarino1
I have clay mixed with added top soil should I put lime in my vegtable & flower garden

0

Lime will lower the pH of acidic soils and is often recommended for clay soils. You can add 4 lbs. of lime per 100 sq. ft. of garden, or you can simply amend your clay soil with organic matter prior to planting. In fact, you can actually improve the tilth of your clay soil by adding organic matter on an annual basis and you'll end up with rich garden loam. Start this spring by removing all vegetation from the area and spreading 4-5 inches of organic matter over the vegetable bed (in the case of your flower bed, you can simply spread the organic matter over the soil between your perennials). You can use compost, aged manure, shredded leaves or whatever organic matter is readily available. Dig or till this organic matter into the soil - 8-10 inches deep. Plant your veggies and mulch over the bare soil between the plants with additional organic matter. A 2-3 inch layer will help suppress weeds and slow water evaporation. At the end of the season dig the organic matter into the soil and add a fresh layer. Repeat this process annually and you'll end up with rich garden loam - and a spectacular flower and vegetable garden. Hope you have a bountiful harvest!

Today's site banner is by EscondidoCal and is called "Geranium maderense"