Are my earthworms telling me something? - Knowledgebase Question

Glen Burnie, Ma
Question by mymistye
I dug a hole to plant a flower plant. As I dug deeper I began to notice earthworms,which I thought was a good sign to see.But the worms were slow and lacked rigor and began to wonder if it was caused by me mixing topsoil in that area or the type of sandy soil there. All I know is the worms looked sick and other worms in different areas of my yard are much different.What can I do?

Earthworms are quite mobile so if they don't like the soil, they'll move on to a better place. I don't think the worms you found were unhappy with the soil mix. It's possible that they've just reached the end of their lifecycle and will turn to compost soon. I wouldn't worry too much about earthworms. They get along just fine on their own and if they don't like the soil next to your plant, they'll move deeper or somewhere else in the garden. Best wishes with your plants!

Today's site banner is by Paul2032 and is called "Iris Dazzling"