lavendar - Knowledgebase Question

Boulder, Co
Question by dcmereness
I have a lavender perennial that has gray leaves and lavender flowers. It is about 15

0

Now that it's starting to flower, just leave it alone. You can prune off the individual flowers when they are spent and then, when flowering stops, give your plant an all over haircut. I prune my lavender twice a year: In early spring, trim off any winter-killed branches, then do a bit of a "crew cut" to tidy the shape. Immediately after bloom, cut back quite hard again, perhaps by half. Unfortunately there is no hard and fast rule as to how much to take off -- the spring pruning is really dictated by the severity of the winter damage and overall shape of the plant. But be careful not to cut back to bare wood. If you do, no more foliage will appear on that stem. Enjoy your lavender!

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Crocosmia 'Lucifer'"