Holly Tree question - Knowledgebase Question

Joliet, Il
Question by shadowfey_53
I have one Chinese holly tree with berries on it and one holly tree (not sure of what kind) with no berries. I have heard I need one male and one female in order for the trees to produce berries? What can I do to get my Chinese tree to continue to produce berries and to hopefully get my other tree to start to produce berries?

Chinese holly (I. cornuta) is one of the few types of holly shrubs that can actually produce berries without male pollination. If you other holly is not, I suspect it is a male. You can determine the gender of your holly by closely inspecting the flowers. Both male hollies and female hollies bear flowers that have 4 petals, but if you take a closer look at the flowers, specifically at what protrudes from their centers, you'll find that male holly flowers have 4 yellow stamens; each female holly flower has a single green ovary (that's the green "bump"). Hope this helps!

Today's site banner is by Paul2032 and is called "Iris Dazzling"