Holly Tree question - Knowledgebase Question

Joliet, Il
Question by shadowfey_53
I have one Chinese holly tree with berries on it and one holly tree (not sure of what kind) with no berries. I have heard I need one male and one female in order for the trees to produce berries? What can I do to get my Chinese tree to continue to produce berries and to hopefully get my other tree to start to produce berries?

0

Chinese holly (I. cornuta) is one of the few types of holly shrubs that can actually produce berries without male pollination. If you other holly is not, I suspect it is a male. You can determine the gender of your holly by closely inspecting the flowers. Both male hollies and female hollies bear flowers that have 4 petals, but if you take a closer look at the flowers, specifically at what protrudes from their centers, you'll find that male holly flowers have 4 yellow stamens; each female holly flower has a single green ovary (that's the green "bump"). Hope this helps!

Today's site banner is by krobra and is called "Lantana Dew Drops"