Artichokes - Knowledgebase Question

Woodland Hills, Ca
Question by mojomomof7
My artichokes in the front yard are producing small artichokes. My artichoke in the back yard is producing good size artichokes. My question is why is the plant in the front producing small artichokes. Both plants were planted at the same time. The both get plenty of sun. What is the recommending amount of water for an artichoke plant. What can I do to increase growth for my artichoke plant.

Although the plants are the same age and planted at the same time, there's obviously some other factor that's keeping the ones in the front yard from growing to their full potential. Since all else is equal, it could be the soil (perhaps not as rich or as moist as the soil in the back) or it might be that the larger plants are getting some supplemental nourishment from adjacent plants or a regularly fertilized lawn. Artichokes love heat - is it possible those in the back yard are getting reflected heat from concrete or a fence or block wall? All of these seemingly small differences between their growing environments can be enough to make one bloom more than the other. Artichokes grow best with about an inch of water per week. You can apply it all at once by thoroughly soaking the soil or you can apply a half inch of water every 3-4 days during the growing season. Good luck with your artichokes.

Today's site banner is by joannakat and is called "Sweet Alyssum 2"