Drooping Vincas - Knowledgebase Question

Lahaina, Ha
Question by slipknot
I buy perfect looking vincas, plant them, and the next day they often droop, though not from lack of water. Sometimes they come around and sometimes they don't. I know they don't like to be too wet. Could it be shock? What can I do to prevent. Only flower I have this problem with. The purple are the most likely to have this problem. White ones do this the least. Please advise. Thanks

You're right, it does sound like transplant shock. Annual vinca is tropical and is more sensitive to cold than the other summer annual bedding plants. It should be planted when the soil temperature is in the 65 to 70 degree range. It does best in full sun?it likes heat, but will tolerate some shade. If the soil is too cool or they are over watered, these plants will get root rot and die. I can only suggest that you prepare the planting hole in advance by mixing in some compost, then plant them carefully, trying not to disturb the roots. Water them after planting and put up a temporary shade to block the sunshine for a few days after planting. I sometimes drive a couple of stakes into the ground and attach a piece of cardboard or drape a piece of fabric over the stakes so the plants get shade from the hot afternoon sunshine. After a few days in the ground they usually perk up and I remove the temporary sun block. Hope this works equally well for you.

Today's site banner is by Paul2032 and is called "Iris Dazzling"