walnut tree - Knowledgebase Question

Fairport, Ne
Question by jgor
my friends say its hard to grow a garden if you have a walnut tree near by. I have a garden stop picked out about 30 ft from the trunk of tree. If I plant a garden there will it produce veggies. thx

Most of the toxicity from walnut trees comes from the juglone released from the roots, and small amounts contained in the leaves, buds and nuts that are leached by rains. Tomatoes and peppers are among the plants most sensitive to juglone, so keep your veggies as far away from the roots and canopy of the tree as possible. If you keep your veggies in full sunshine, they'll be far enough from the canopy of the tree that they won't be affected by the juglone. If they seem to struggle this year you might consider building a raised bed for your veggies so they won't be bothered by the tree roots, or consider gardening in containers, where walnut tree roots won't cause a problem.

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "Lantana"