Partial shade - Knowledgebase Question

Littleton, Co
Question by dotanddk
A large pine tree of my neighbors,shades part of my garden. Most of the day in summer The spot is in light shadeA rose of sharon is not doing too well there. in past years I had sucess with mallow, but they became to ungainly. Help please.

Sorry about your Rose of Sharon and mallow. Both require full sunshine. But there are lots of perennials that do well in part to full shade. Some to consider include Acorus (Sweet Flag), Hosta, Allium, Anemone, Columbine, Astilbe, Begonia., Caladium, Dicentra (Bleeding Heart), Foxglove, Evergreen candytuft, daylilies, primrose, and Coralbells. If you're looking for shrubs, these will do well in the area you describe: Azaleas, Boxwood, Carolina Allspice, Enkianthus, Fothergilla, Oakleaf Hydrangea, Japanese Holly, Japanese Kerria, Leucothoe, Oregon Grape Holly, Pieris, Rhododendron and Alpine Current. Good luck with your garden!

Today's site banner is by wildflowers and is called "Japanese Spirea"