What is the best way to care for my orchid plant? - Knowledgebase Question

Bronx, Ne
Question by Bgwync10
What is the best way to care for my orchid plant? I have a phalaneopsis, and the blossoms are all off, so now I am curious to see the best possible course of action to have it bloom again. I trimmed the branch already, cutting it to below a node. I water as needed, when the bark seems a bit dry. I have other plants in the apartment, and they do very well when they outside on the terrace. Summer.

I think you're off to a good start with your orchid. Dry bark is a good thing. You don't want to overwater your orchid. My only caution is to keep it indoors rather than summering it outdoors with your other houseplants. Here are some general care tips for orchids: They like daytime temperatures of about 70F degrees in the summer, 60F in the winter, and a drop of ten degrees at night. Cool nights are important. Give them bright light, 10-15 hours each day. Keep the potting medium moist, but reduce the frequency of watering during the winter months. Mist the leaves occasionally. Keep them out of drafts and shade them from direct sunshine. Some orchids will rebloom on the same stem so I would leave the stem alone. If it does not flower again, the stem will die and you can then cut it off. A new flowering stem will emerge when your orchid is ready to flower again. Orchids bloom best when they are rootbound so don't be in a hurry to repot it. Wait for a year or two and then find a container just slightly larger than the current one and use wood chip based orchid mix potting soil. Enjoy your new orchid!

Today's site banner is by sunnyvalley and is called "Rose"