What is solution to St Agustine grass planted on poor drainage clay based soil? - Knowledgebase Question

Pearland, Te
Question by soonersteele
What is the solution for correcting areas within my St Agustine lawn that does not flourish due to water puddling and not draining sufficiently due to clay based soil. 95% of lawn is good, 5% where water has not drained properly has appeared to rot. Please advise, thank you. (Houston area)

0

If it were my lawn, I'd approach the problem areas in two ways. First I'd aerate the lawn. A core aerator will remove one inch by three inch plugs from the lawn. Leave the plugs on the lawn and they will dissolve in rain or water from the sprinklers. After aerating spread a thin layer of sand or compost over the area and water it in well. The sand or compost plus the soil from the plugs will work their way down into the holes left by the plugs. These new areas will provide places for excess water to drain. Once that is done and all the plugs have dissapeared and the grass is vigorously growing, I'd spread some top soil over the low areas. You can spread about an inch at a time. The grass will grow up through the soil. If the areas are still low, spread another inch of topsoil over the low areas, then wait for the grass to grow up through it. Continue this process until there are no more low spots in your lawn. Good luck with your project!

Today's site banner is by ge1836 and is called "Alteri Lily"