Planting Garlic - Knowledgebase Question

Roanoke, Te
Question by vickiflock
Do I separate the garlic and plant the individual cloves? How do I know when to harvest and do I need to dry? How?

0

Garlic is easy to grow, but don't plant the kind you buy in the grocery store because they may have been treated with a growth inhibitor. Garlic grows best in deep, rich soil, and full sun. Separate the head of garlic into individual cloves. Space the cloves 4-6 inches apart and 1-2 inches deep in rows 12-18 inches apart. Keep the plants watered (1 inch per week) all season long. When the foliage yellows and dies back, the garlic should be ready to harvest. If a flower stalk develops in the center of the plant, cut it down before it flowers or the plant's energy will go into developing seeds instead of producing plump cloves. Harvest carefully so you don't tear the papery outer covering of the garlic. Cure in a hot, dry, dark, airy place for a few weeks. Then store in a cool, dark location until you're ready to enjoy your garlic.

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "Orchid Cactus "